The town hall belongs to the Mancomunidad Es Raiguer – the community of Es Raiguer – and is extended on a surface of around 38 square kilometres. The water reaches the valley through a torrent and it is thought that the first Arab settlements, as well as the farmhouse Camarossa arose here.
The property and country house of Son Torella was mentioned in the archives in the 14th century. After the conquest of the King Jaume I and the fall of Palma in the hands of the Christians in 1229, there was a second battlefield: the great Arab armies followed the former Roman way towards the northeast in the direction of the Camí – the town of Santa María – to find shelter in the Castle of Alaró. However, they failed. Later, almost half of the island fell in the King hands without offering any resistance.
Today, around 1300 inhabitants called Santamariers live in this municipality, at 130 metres above sea level. During the week, the silence reigns; but this changes every Sunday when the market begins early in the morning.
In Santa María, two towers stand out; one of them belongs to the parish church. The current church was built in the 18th century and is dedicated to Nuestra Señora del Camí – the local virgin. In the 16th century, a monastery located on the outskirts of Palma was moved to a place between Palma and Alcudia. This was how the current monastery had its origin. Its inner cloister is opened to the public during the day.
The town of Santa María is known inside and outside the island by its textile production. Since the last three generations, the family Bujosa keeps working with linen. They manufacture fabrics of llengües, which are fabrics of cotton-linen and silk woven with a complex technique called picard, creating motives thanks to the coloration of the warp. The looms that remind to the beginning of the Industrial Revolution are handled by six workers, although this company continues to be a family company.
At dusk, the silhouette of the Serra de Tramuntana – the Tramuntana Mountain Range – can be seen from Santa María in a blue, clear colour. Between the plateaus of the Alaró Castle and Son Cadena, it stands out the depression of Tossals Verds. More at the north, it can be sighted the impressive hillock of Massanella.