From here, the best pictures of the island can be taken. The viewpoint is frequented by tourists and visitors who are in search of spectacular views. The truth is that you are not going to be disappointed. The beauty of the landscape will leave you speechless…
Fresh oranges – best olive oil – delicious almonds – precious wine
Intense taste – pure nature
Mallorca, fresh to your table
Simply ordering unter
Or visiting one of the shops in Soller.
- Parking nearby
- Take away
Pollensa has always been the city of the artists: painters like Anglada Camarasa and Tito Cittadini even changed Paris for this place. More than thirty years ago, here took place the International Contest of Plastic Arts, whose winners exhibit their work at the Pollensa Museum, which has many other things to offer, such as the collection of gothic altarpieces that, in part, come from the parish church and, in part, from the chapel of the Puig de Santa María – Santa María hill.
An important part of the museum is dedicated to the artist Atilio Boveri, whose oil paintings, which were created in Mallorca between 1912 and 1915, reproduce the Gardens of Raixa, the King’s Castle, the Caves of Bóquer, the Torrent of Pareis, the Mill of Ca’n Jura, the Pass of Ternells, the fruit trees and orchards of Pollensa, the Calvari way, the streets of Pollença and the fig, olives and almond trees.
Moreover, a Mandala surprises those who visit the Pollensa Museum. For Buddhists, this is the explanation for the birth, existence and destruction of the universe; a complex aid for reflection and concentration.
During his visit to Pollensa, in 1990, the Dalai Lama gave a Kalachakra Mandala to the city, also known as a wheel of time. The complex Mandala represents 722 gods together with their palaces, and it was made in the Namgyal Monastery, in the Indian Himalayas.
Officially, the Pollensa Museum, opened in 1975, is located in the old monastery of the Dominicans that was built between 1588 and 1616 and occupied by monks to 1836. Today the Museum is a cultural meeting point for the art and music lovers, as well as for theatre enthusiasts.
This dramatic landscape is in contrast to the great fruit plantations that extend across the triangle formed by Pollença, Cala SanVicente and Port Pollensa. But it is the sandy beaches that attract the majority of the tourists. The Bays of Pollensa and Alcudia are some of the busiest places in Mallorca for hungry visitors and for sun worshippers.
Due to length of its beach, the winds and water depth, the bay of Alcudia has become one of the most popular destinations for surfers around the world.
The Archduke Luis Salvador described the fishing village of Port Pollensa in detail in his work on the Balearic Islands published in 1897. he mentions the small road running parallel to the sand leading to the Bay of Pollença, but does not speak of this wide beach because that was considered a useless piece of land of no interest 100 years ago.
General Franco ordered republican prisoners, mostly Basques, to construct a road from Cap Formentor to Cap Pinar across the entire bay of Pollença to the Peninsula Sa Victoria. The Spanish army still maintains a base in the Cap Pinar military zone that is restricted.
The most successful crime author ever, Agatha Christie, wrote enthusiastically about the Port of Pollença. In the first decades of the twentieth century there were only a few small family hotels and the first tourists were all British. The Port, as it was called by the Pollensina, has never ceased to be British, it continues to be a pull to well-off tourists and has little in common with the great centres of mass English tourism in the south, such as Magaluf and Palma Nova.
The Catalan artist Anglada Camarasa lived in Port de Pollença for many years, and he died there in 1959. He is considered the founder of the Pollensina School, a group of artists including the photographer Guillem Bestard. Camarasa made Mallorca famous far beyond its coastline. Many artists settled in the fishing village and in 1930 there were a number of 500 people registered in the town.
The Argentine artist Adam Diehl oversaw the building of the legendary Hotel Formentor, which still remains a luxury meeting place for international celebrities.
The Royal Yacht Club in the Port is a futuristic style building with Californian features. The natural harbour of Pollensas bay is relatively protected from strong waves.
Throughout the area of Boquer one road leads to Cala Boquer: a picturesque bay which is reached by passing between the Serra de Cavall Bernat and Coll de Mormorall, with a height of 353 metres.
The San Vicente valley is rich for many reasons, not only for its attraction to landscape painters. Next to the prehistoric caves there is a bridge that was built back in the time of the Roman occupation. Along the valley lies a fertile plain which is often quoted in the records as a region of high productivity. Even today there are properties which house a large number of chickens which are raised freely with tame pigs, sheep and goats, all a long way away from the mass rearing of high technology.
The valley creates a natural link between the open sea in the north and the bay of Pollensa, an exceptional area for hiking and a land rich in artefacts that are the subject of study for archaeolists.
Cala San Vicente has three sandy coves that open to the north, less protected from the onslaught from the north wind, the Tramuntana. The rock formation of the Serra de Cavall Bernat, with its peaks and undulating lines reminiscent of horse trails, which doesn’t offer any protection either. So the north wind sends its strong gusts, as the waves hit the rocks with a crash in seconds.
Pure nature: simply beautiful.
Martí Vicenç Alemany was born in Pollensa in 1926 and he followed the steps of his family. His father, who was also a weaver, experimented with the fabric of llengües, a characteristic fabric of Mallorca that combines the white and blue or the green and red in a way as if these colours created tongue-shapes.
Around 1945, when the industry of Pollensa began to flourish after years of recession, he created the textile company Galeries Vicenç and developed a wide collection of textures with innovative ideas, although he kept the spirit of the llengües fabric.
Part of this craft production can be seen in the Martí Vicenç Museum, located at Ca’n Sionet, a building of the 17th century that formerly was part of a monastery. Its location is also special because it is situated in the beginning of the Calvari – Calvary –, a steep slope with 365 steps.
In this museum house can be visited all the rooms. The first of them is the loom room, where the most common instruments for the manufacturing of textiles are exhibited. In the middle of this room, there is an old loom with a warp still assembled and a launcher prepared to be used. Another of the interesting pieces is the hemp cutter that was used to extract cane fibre; or the sharpeners, with which the sheep line was spun. Among all the llengües fabrics of the artist stands out the one that received an award in 1980, at the International Fair of Vanguard Craftsmanship of Barcelona.
Pollensa citizens are rightly proud of their city. The peaks of the Sierra de Tramuntana mountains and their foothills leading down to Cap de Formentor, the fertile plains and the sea are all part of the scene that describes Pollensa. They are also proud of the fertility of their fields and the town has always led very productive agriculture.
The development of Pollensa is closely linked to the history of Alcudia. When Quintus Caecilius Metellus conquered the island for Rome in 121 BC he landed in Puerto de Alcudia and described a rich and flourishing colony which he called Pollentia. Although the capital of the area from the Roman era right up to the present day is Alcudia.
This is possibly the reason why there is little evidence of Roman rule in Pollensa, unlike in Alcudia. The Roman bridge of Sant Jordi Torrente was built in 500 AC, at a time when the Roman empire had almost become extinct. The Arabs conquered Pollentia and renamed it Al Kudia, “the hill.”
From 1400 onwards when pirate attacks from the sea became more and more unbearable, the Alcudia population left the city to take refuge in the mountains. In memory of the Roman Pollentia the new town was named Pollensa.
Today the town has a population of 15,000. Every year on the 2nd of August is the great battle between Moors and Christians which reminds the locals of the attack by pirates in 1550, which was successfully repelled by the citizens of Pollensa. The hero of the battle was Joan Mas, who beat the Ottoman corsair Dragut. The tomb of the victorious hero in this bloody battle for the town can be visited at the convent.
The Dominican convent is one of the most visited monuments in the town. In the cloister of the Convent de Sant Domènech there is a monument to Philip Newman, founder of the famous Pollensa Music Festival in 1962.
The small chapel of Roser Vell was the first church of the Dominicans, who built it in 1406 to commemorate the founding of the place.
But there are more churches in Pollensa. The original parish church is first cited in 1248 in the archives of Rome. In the eighteenth century the local Pollensina built the present parish of Nostra Senyora dels Angels. Montesión church was built by the Jesuits in the seventeenth century and was then desecrated after their expulsion from the island but restored in the late nineteenth through by an initiative of Miquel Costa i Llobera, a poet who lived from 1854 to 1922.
Pollensa is a charming little town, a successful blend of old and new found in the original traditional Mallorca and the middle class. There is even more to say about Pollensa, for example the school to which he belonged Pollensina Dionís Bennàssar or the Vicens Marti Museum. This town is a place in the Northwest of the island that is very rich in history and stories, which is a good reason to revisit it again and again.